Wednesday, September 8, 2010

It Rained... but these people are exceptionally kind.




Arriving in London...

Only an hour after the plane landed, I couldn't help but think, "I've arrived in London and I've absolutely no idea what I'm doing. I can't find my bag. My phone won't work at all. My laptop can't be recharged. I don't know how many pence are in a pound. It's raining... I did get through customs, though!"

When I asked an airport employee whether I could find free wi-fi somewhere, his sympathetic reply was, "There's nothing free here, love. Welcome to the UK!"

Eventually, I made my way across the city on the Underground (the Tube, as it is playfully yet practically referred to here). I got to take the Jubilee Line. Isn't that a great name? I got off at St. John's Wood station. Also a great name. Then I finally laid claim to a table outside Beatles Coffee Shop where I ardently people watched, wrote, and shook my head side to side to keep from falling asleep. I was almost entire successful in avoiding slumber, though I may not have avoided looking slightly insane.

I'm currently staying in a former teacher's sister's home. What generosity on her part. Dinner, rest, a shower, advice for touring London.

I look forward to exploring tomorrow... without my huge 50 lb bag.
I really like the Brits. There's a kindess I've noticed in people here that I've not seen before.
Oh. And I found a painting here in a consignment store that is amazing. Bought it. I need something to put up in my new place!
CHEERS!

4 comments:

Katherine Michael said...

Awesome! I'm so glad you made it there. I sent an e-mail to the only person I know in that area. I'm waiting to hear back to see if you can stay with them. Could be rather random, because Josh and I met this couple while we were on our honeymoon in Mexico, but could be rather cool because she works as a manager of a Spa and he works at Abbey Records (the record label of the beatles).

Love,
Kat

Amy said...

blessings amidst chaos are a beautiful thing

Beth said...

i'm so glad you made it to london! although i don't know all the reasons why you're anxious about what your time in ireland will unfold, i do know that so many people are praying for and thinking about you. this blog is genius! keep updating it so that we can all get a look into the new european life of becca :)

Patty said...

My dear, you sounded so tired on the phone. All will look better when you are rested. I advise not ditching your clothing - but wrestle that luggage up to Ulster. :o) Easy for me to say, huh?

Love your blog. "There's nothing free here, love. Welcome to the UK!" nice.