Thursday, September 16, 2010

I live in Duncreggan Student Village (the Village).

There's. So. Much.

I've been in Derry for just half a week.

I've met all 4 of my other flatmates and many of their friends (GREAT people, really! They've been takin care of me.)
I've meet about 30 students from China, the States, France, Germany, Spain, the Philippines, Taiwan, India... (O! And one of the other Americans speaks Arabic! He spent the last two years in Morocco and Egypt. I almost cried when I found out)
I've been to the campus pub for a free drink and good conversation, to a club for dancing, to a cafeteria for some cheap food, to Hannah's apartment for dinner with 5 other Americans (breakfast sandwiches!), to Rhey's apartment for cereal, to the three charity shops for cheap clothes, and to the prayer room on campus.

I think I might join the Gaelic team (check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDwXzyZtKp0&feature=related).
I'm pretty sure I'm taking a piano course (along with a module on Genocide and one on Self, Identity and Conflict and in independently researched and specially supervised course with this brilliant politics professor).
I plan to travel nearly every weekend. I only have class Tuesday and Wednesday.


I am just in love with the Irish way of living together. I know I'm going to learn so much about community while I am here.Not only do the girls who are friends with my flatmates come over and eat full meals together (they've always invited me) but even the people who come by and clean the flats know each person they clean for by name. How often does that happen in the States?

Tonight, after I walked back from the international students' event, some people in my hall saw us from their window, opened it, and shouted for us to come up. We did and joined the party, playing guitar, drinkin beer, makin jokes. A very nice time.



I'm pretty excited about the relationships that are all coming so naturally with both the Irish and the other Internationals. Praise God.

Pray that I find a church.


I like this part of my room. I bought that painting at a charity shop in London... love

3 comments:

Katherine Michael said...

What the heck sport is that? Sounds like a marvelous time so far. When do you start class?

Patty said...

And I thought college in America was fun!

Interesting mix of classes...good.

Very happy that all is well. Praying for a church community for you. I will leave you with this:

Dochtúir na sláinte an codladh.

(Apparently that is an Irish saying. It means: Health's doctor is sleep.)

Love.

Jaclynn said...

Dear Becca,

Where are you? How's life?

~Jaclynn