Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Nothing un-thought

I am struggling with this blog.
I've committed to it.
I regularly regret this commitment.

I don't feel I have anything of significance worked out well enough to say. Why should someone take time to read anything that I write?

My writing, I've held, has actual meaning and is significant as it reveals what I believe is true. I never purposefully write falsities, whether for a research paper or a letter or a facebook comment. When I write for other people (and an indiscriminate number of people, as is the nature of online blogs), I feel as though I am bearing a part of my unrefined and unprotected soul.

This soul-bearing is most dangerous because it is really only true in the moment of its writing; I am not a fixed, definable entity. I change. The writing I do now is only a sketch for thoughts and ideas and parts of me. But what I've written here is--as it is permanently available for public access--carved in stone.

The problematic nature of the public is that is is a carving of something that's moving. It's not quite accurate.
What's written here is an eternal display (as if worthy of display) of a mere momentary sketch.

Yet! I will eternally be sketching and my transient conclusions will never be anything but that-changing. Therefore, If I hold to this notion of protection and privacy until some kind of internal conclusion or completion, I will never write anything for others to see...


And would this be such a tragedy? Is it so important that others see and know what I write? Would the absence of my thoughts, my words, my experiences and ideas be any great loss?

All of these experiences I'm having are so complex that any kind of articulated assessment of them seems premature and pretentious. I think nothing novel. Nothing original. Nothing unprecedented. Nothing un-thought as of today.

I am a processor of connections, a linker of worlds. A line drawer. A sketcher, some might say.
But maybe someone will see something useful or beautiful or worthwhile in a sketch or two...

3 comments:

Katherine Michael said...

You might think you think nothing novel, but in reality, every thought you have is growing you. Every thought you have begins to shape who you are. Every thought you have is part of a bigger story of your life and what God has at work in you.

I think it is not only good to write these seemingly insignificant thoughts down, but essential.

you are a brilliant writer and whether or not you chooses to share with the world at this time matters not, but I think you should write. And if I could choose, please share.

Patty said...

Your mother just wants to know what you're up to in a way that expands more than a facebook status or fun pictures (although, I do love those!). I have read this entire blog (since you began it so long ago) at least twice through - probably more than that...

Rachel said...

yes. and yes. i resonate with all of this so much!! maybe, though not novel, new, or unprecedented, we are simply meant to share our sketches of thoughts - due to change within moments - in order to allow the chance for others to get glimpses of what is within us, however changing; and allow opportunities for those flickering changing ideas to catch, and resonate with someone else... to by chance put words to something they had yet to find words for on their own. no matter how un-cemented, change prone, and vulnerable that thought might have been.

- thank you.

on the other hand - i am also far from publishing the thoughts that are closest to my heart - which at times makes me wonder if what i do publish is shallow... or worthwhile...

(ha! and then even this comment - in writing might be a thought prone to change..)

maybe there is some space for us within the tension of these things... :)

peace to you friend.