Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Bony-hand knuckles


The sound of bony-hand knuckle flinging awkwardly into bony skull side is not the crisp “bampt” as in the movies. Watching the causes of these awkward sounds of violence has never pleased me.


The first time I heard a punch was in seventh grade. I was practically alone in the lifeless, tile and cinderblock space. I walked out of the bathroom just as Abed, a short dark haired boy, swung up toward his giant friend Clint’s face—his feet actually leaving the ground to make up for the middle school height difference. There was a brief shuffle after that, a small thud when Clint shoved Abed against a wall, and a couple moans.


Windows drowned my high school commons in sunlight. Over the balcony railing I could see a ring of people five thick around a white WWF female teacher and the curly haired little principal struggling between two large black students who yelled back and forth. In the scuffle one student hit the teacher. I could hear only the barn-like ruckus of a crowd. I gawked not at the fight, but at the gathered students. “Why are you watching this in support?”


My first year in Chicago. Three against one in an alley exposed to all of us standing on the El platform. They threw the man on the ground and shoved him, gravel sticking in his knee, I am sure. The train roared behind me. All I did was stare. My train approached and the beating became a stop motion silent movie through the train windows.


That spring I heard how Daley Plaza, with it’s concrete everything, does not forgive. Holding my cell phone to my ear, “Um, yes, please, there’s a fight. There are like 15 people out here.” Less than a foot away from me boney kuckle on jaw or shoulder or chest: Thud. Ahg! Thud. Umf. Thud. Drop. Shuffle. Uuuuggh! Cry. Isak and Ben ran into the fray bravely. Later Isak: “I don’t know why I jumped in there. Any one of those guys could’ve had a knife.” And some of them did.


The noisy Irish crowd ebbed back and forth as the drunken boys swung and flailed about. Jeers and puns hid the thud of knees meeting concrete and tearing jeans. Distraught and weak and tipsy I situated myself on the railing. A new confrontation was about to begin but small firey boned Melissa stood right between the two lads, “Back off! Let him alone.” Wee Rachel spoke with an agitator and told me: “He asked me ‘What was I supposed to do?’” I thought, Northern Ireland will tell you and I’ll pray.


I could only understand that one word, in Arabic: “Maksuraa-AAh!!!” Broken. The pained voice cracked and cries of struggle interrupted his speech as it spilled over the barrier of the police station wall next to the synagogue. The rest of the words were too mingled and distressed to catch, confused by the shouts between approaching Israeli Defense Force soldiers and the young, hidden Palestinian man. I watched alongside the other international observers. And then I wrote about it.





Sunflowers in Palestine


2 comments:

Patty said...

I have never. In my entire life. Seen one human being hit another.

I read this with my heart squeezing as I realized what a violent world you enter so easily.

I am, and have been so sheltered in my suburbs. I'm no better for it.

Rebecca Charlene said...

This list of explicit violence is nearly exhaustive. There are others who life amidst this sort of thing daily. For years.

We are blessed people, mother.